expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, 27 September 2016

The Bullet Journal Part One: What Even Is This ?


Hello everyone!

Now if you're like me and have long been a lover of looking at crafty DIY and lifestyle hacks on the likes of Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook you would have noticed a thing called The Bullet Journal popping up everywhere recently. I’ve spent hours scrolling through pictures of the most beautiful journal layouts but it all looks so complicated and a lot more hassle than it’s worth.

My problem is that I adore stationary but I have about 50 half-filled abandoned little notebooks, organisers, planners and sketchbooks hoarded away. It’s all because I tell myself every new year or back to school time that this is it I’m going to get organised and stick to it but when life gets busy and to-do lists don’t go to plan, let’s face it they never do really do they? I would just give up because I wanted it to look perfect with no big crossed out tasks I never got around to and my planner would be reduced to a life of random doodles and notes or never be seen again!

I needed something that was going to work for real life, that it didn’t matter if I forgot to write in it one day or plans I had took note of changed at the last minute. Somewhere I could write down everything I needed to remember but it was still organised and looked nice, I don’t ask for much do I?

Enter The Bullet Journal

There is an official site for the bullet journal (find it here) describing what it is and a video explaining how to get started but it’s very detailed making it more confusing than I think it needs to be. Yes, you can have a gorgeous elaborate colour coded layout that takes some time or you can strip it back to the quick simple way of organisation that is at the core of bullet journaling. It’s open to making it your own which is something I love.

The site describes the bullet journal as “a customizable and forgiving organization system. It can be your to-do list, sketchbook, notebook, and diary, but most likely, it will be all of the above. It will teach you to do more with less.” At this point I was completely sold and couldn’t wait to get started making my own journal.

So I’ve decided to challenge myself to a month of bullet journaling, get set up, put the journal to the test and see if it is all it’s cracked up to be. After a month I’ll give you an update on how it went. If you’d like to have a go too then stay tuned as tomorrow I'll be posting how to make your own bullet journal which I will link here.

A xx